Re: XQuery and URIs

Hello Liam,

On Thu, Jan 22, 2004 at 11:27:08AM -0500, Liam Quin wrote:
> The XML Query Working Group has considered the following message:
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-qt-comments/2003Oct/0096.html
>
> The following is a response from the Working Group.
>
> > I believe XQuery is missing an important feature; the ability to
> > serialize a document in URI form, so that the resulting URI may be used
> > as an argument to the GET method.
>
> The XML Query Working Group noted that there is already a standard method
> for serializing strings (such as queries) as URIs: RFC 2396.  We
> also already provide the escape-uri function to reflect this.

URI-escaping should work fine as an encoding, I expect, and I thank the
WG for making that decision.

But, what now remains absent from the XQuery specification is a
normative dependency on it as the canonical encoding to be used for
XQuery documents serialized into URI form.

> We have closed this issue for now; please let us know if this
> disposition is not satisfactory.

Sorry, it's not. 8-(

> Thanks!

Cheers,