Re: [XQuery] Inconsistent syntax for variable declarations

I agree with Jonathan and Mike.  Having two such different syntaxes for
what is essentially the same functionality is confusing at best.

Hope this helps,
    Jim

At 09:16 2004-01-26 Monday, Jonathan Robie wrote:

>I agree.
>
>By the way, the history of this is that we tried the syntax proposed below
>before we had semicolons as separators between declarations in the prolog,
>and faced ambiguities. We then added semicolons to give ourselves this
>kind of flexibility - and then never got around to fixing variable
>declarations to take advantage of this. We still need to actually make
>this parse, but I see no difficulties now, and this would definitely
>improve the language.
>
>Jonathan
>
>At 05:52 PM 1/23/2004, Kay, Michael wrote:
>
>>I am raising this comment because I have seen several XQuery users make
>>mistakes as a result of the syntactic inconsistency between global
>>variable declarations and local variables, and there seems to be no good
>>reason why they are so different.
>>
>>For global variables we write:
>>
>>    declare variable $x [as xs:integer] {3};
>>
>>while for local variables we write:
>>
>>    let $x [as xs:integer] := 3
>>
>>I suggest changing the global variable syntax to:
>>
>>    declare variable $x [as xs:integer] := 3;
>>
>>An external variable would be:
>>
>>    declare variable $x [as xs:integer] external;
>>
>>Michael Kay

Jim Melton --- Editor of ISO/IEC 9075-* (SQL)     Phone: +1.801.942.0144
Oracle Corporation            Oracle Email: mailto:jim.melton@oracle.com
1930 Viscounti Drive          Standards email: mailto:jim.melton@acm.org
Sandy, UT 84093-1063              Personal email: mailto:jim@melton.name
USA                                                Fax : +1.801.942.3345
=  Facts are facts.  However, any opinions expressed are the opinions  =
=  only of myself and may or may not reflect the opinions of anybody   =
=  else with whom I may or may not have discussed the issues at hand.  =