Re: [XQuery] Static type of an external variable

Michael,

I think I disagree with the text as written.

If we give the type of the external variable at runtime, it is a
little bit too late isn't it ? At that time it is useless.

I would say that the type is provided by the environment at compile time
and the value is provided by the environment at runtime. If no type is
provided by the environment at compile time then by default the static
type
of the variable should be item().

We strongly care for the ability to be able to set the types of
external variables
in the environment at compile time. If they are all considered to be of
type item()
then most queries with external variables of this kind will fail at
compilation time
with static type errors.

Best regards,
Dana