Re: [XQuery] IBM-XQ-021: Automatic assignment of default namespac e

Dear Dana and Jonathan,
No, of course IBM-XQ-021 does not suggest that XQuery should behave
differently from XML. Please read the paragraph that this comment relates
to (Section 3.7.4, second paragraph in Note).

According to this paragraph, an implementation can arbitrarily make up a
prefix for a namespace under certain circumstances rather than using a
user-specified prefix. Furthermore, the implementation can arbitrarily
assign or reassign the default namespace at its own initiative, without
any instructions from a user. Nothing like that occurs anywhere in XML as
far as I know.

My comment is very simple: I am simply observing that it's dangerous for a
system to arbitrarily assign the default namespace, because the content of
an element may be based on the assumption that there is no default
namespace. I suggested that implementations should not do this.

If you think that my suggestion is "different from XML", please explain
the difference.

--Don Chamberlin

Jonathan Robie <jwrobie@mindspring.com>
Sent by: public-qt-comments-request@w3.org
02/17/2004 02:20 AM
Please respond to
jwrobie

Daniela Florescu <danielaf@bea.com>
cc
public-qt-comments@w3.org
Subject
Re: [XQuery] IBM-XQ-021: Automatic assignment of default namespac  e

I agree with Dana. It's confusing and dangerous for XQuery to differ
from XML here, especially since people do copy XML into a query and add
dynamic expressions.

Jonathan