RE: timezones (was: SAG-FO-02 follow-up: Durations)

From: Xavier Franc <xfranc@online.fr>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 14:23:47 +0200
To: public-qt-comments@w3.org

Thank you, Michael, for your explanation about adjust-to-timezone, the
expression "preferred timezone to be used in its representation" makes
things quite clear.

I keep believing that component extraction functions should return
values _local_ to the timezone contained in the date/time object.

1) it is easy to understand and natural for users unaware of TZ

2) users who have to cope with several TZ won't have more difficulties.
     They will achieve easy conversions between TZ by using adjust-to-timezone.
	For example to get UTC values:
              get-hours-xxx( adjust-xxx-to-timezone($t, 0) )

3) Provided that it is made clear that the values returned for get-hours-***() are local,
     there is no issue to say that those values are not necessarily the same
     for two dateTimes that are equal to each other.

4) this is independent on whether the internal representation is UTC or not.

  > Users who don't care about timezones (and I'm afraid that we Europeans who
  > live in single-timezone countries are in a minority here)

:-) If you speak of Europeans in this list, then we are indeed a minority, but
      after all single-timezone countries represent some 90% of mankind...  :-)

Best regards,

--
Xavier FRANC