RE: Update an existing element in a result tree?

XSLT is a declarative, functional language: the concept of updating
variables, or nodes in a tree, is therefore alien. The form of your question
"as my stylesheet executes..." shows that you are thinking in a procedural
model. Please try to rethink your problem description so that the result
tree can be described as a function of the source tree.