RE: [XSLT2.0] format-date() - country

Personally, I have some sympathy with your comments. I do have doubts about
whether people who want to manage dates in non-Gregorian calendars will
actually want to use the schema date/time data types, and about whether
there is any benefit in providing conversions from Gregorian dates to other
calendars without also providing conversion in the opposite direction. As an
amateur genealogist myself, I know that I would never choose to store
historical data using proleptic Gregorian dates.

I think the goals are clear: we are trying to ensure that there is enough
flexibility to cover all the ways that dates are actually represented by
different communities. But your objection, that we haven't done the research
to actually show how the parameters to these functions will be used, is
quite valid.

The W3C process does demand that specs be proven to be implementable.

Thanks for the comment, and I'm sure there will be further debate in the
working group. As I'm sure you can guess, there has been a great deal
already.