RE: XPath 2.0 little question on draft (`for' statement)

I think you are correct. (The two expressions are probably not equivalent
for all possible source documents, because one forces document order where
the other does not; but they are equivalent for cases where books do not
have books as descendants.)

I suspect that the reason the example was written that way is that the
author comes from a SQL background. Some people prefer to spell everything
out in "for" expressions rather than writing compact path expressions. It's
largely a matter of personal taste.