Re: [XQuery] Computed CDATA constructor

On Nov 10, 2003, at 4:52 PM, Michael Rys wrote:

> Note that the CDATA section in XQuery is not really a constructor but a
> way for people to enter CDATA in element content without the need for
> entitizing (like in XML 1.0). As Jonathan pointed out, this does not
> carry into the data model and should probably not be described as a
> constructor...

But according to the spec, CDATA is not just for the need of
non-entitizing: "An implementation may choose to serialize text that
was constructed using a CDATA section constructor by means of a CDATA
section in the serialized output, but it is not obliged to do so." I
realize that it doesn't exist in the data model, but it should be up to
the implementor to define whether or not the information is retained,
as the spec suggests.

On Nov 10, 2003, at 4:47 PM, Michael Rys wrote:

> Did you look at the serialization spec to see if it addresses your
> issue?

Yes, I have. It defines that the content of elements with certain names
is to be output as CDATA, but not specific elements, the way someone
might with a computed CDATA constructor.

> If you cannot use CDATA on serialization, could you live with defining
> this using the extensibility mechanism in your implementation?

We could, but it seems overzealous for something that seems like it
belongs in the spec. It is frustrating to see function names and
parameters be continuously changed but useful, low
overhead/implementation features not adopted.

--Sarah