RE: document is not an element, is it?

Thanks for the response. I think we need to take this discussion into
the WG list after this reply.

Your exposition makes sense but I don't think the documents currently
state it like that.

Note that anySimpleType in the formal semantics document is being used
for the purpose of type subsumption even though you cannot have a value
of that type.

The relationship to item needs a better explanation in our documents
(which I remark in my latest document review) and what I refer to below
as a proposed issue.

Best regards
Michael

So