From: Shlomo Geva [mailto:s.geva@qut.edu.au]
Sent: 03 March 2003 22:19
To: public-qt-comments@w3.org
Cc: sihem@research.att.com; marx@science.uva.nl
Subject: Indirection in XQuery/XPath

Hi There,

The ability to follow links and pointers (or anchors) is probably worthwhile
considering.  Take a query such as - "get all paragraphs that contain a
citation of a paper authored by Kohonen".   This is a common requirement in
bibliography searching where you want the exact context of the citation.
If the citation reference is implemented as an anchor (XPointer?) then it
will not include explicit author details and hence the paragraphs cannot be
selected directly by using "Kohonen" as a search argument.  Rather, having
found Kohonen in the bibliography section of an article we need to take the
citation-id and use it as a search argument in paragraphs selection
(indirection).
This may be too complex a requirement, but it is certainly a "nice to have".
(This is akin to performing a join following a foreign key in an SQL query)

It can be further enhanced if we were to support following links (XLink?) to
other documents - for instance, extend the example above to include
selection terms that can only be got at by inspecting the cited Kohonen
paper itself (i.e, another document altogether).  Indirection following
XLinks and XPointers would be a really nice feature in a retrieval engine,
albeit perhaps too complicated as an explicit and bare user interface
feature.

Regards,

Shlomo

Shlomo Geva, PhD
Centre for Information Technology Innovation
(Office: 126 Margaret St, Room 306)
Faculty of Information Technology
Queensland University of Technology
GPO Box 2434,