RE: Namespace considerations

My apologies that nobody seem to have answered.

See below for my reply.

Best regards
Michael

http://www.decisionsoft.com
> XML Development and Services

[Michael Rys] All are legal since they construct strings :-). And even
if you remove the 's the above expressions should be legal.

However note that as Jonathan points out below, xs:decimal is not really
the same type as xf:decimal, instead xs:decimal is considered a subtype
of xf:decimal.

> On a different note, I thought that xs was bound to
> "http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" in the spec simply for convenience.
> You seem to imply that it is a predefined prefix which is always bound
> "http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema".

This is correct.

>  Yet the F&O specs do use the
> xs: prefix for constructors, which is defined to be in the
> "http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-datatypes" namespace.

[Michael Rys] This is a bug and should be fixed in the next version.
Ashok, please take note.

> Thanks again for your help,
> Caroline

[Michael Rys] Thanks for your comment.

> On Wed, 19 Feb 2003, Jonathan Robie wrote:
>

> > Hi Caroline,
> >
> > Good question! The short answer is that you can use
> > ""http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-datatypes" only if you import
that
> > schema. Even though the same set of datatypes are available under
either
> > namespace, the datatypes in the two namespaces are not exactly
> identical.
> > If you go to the above URI, you can download the schema for
datatypes,
> and
> > you will see that it looks like the following excerpt:
> >
> > <schema xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema"
> >                targetNamespace="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-
> datatypes"
> >              version="$Id: XMLSchema-datatypes.xsd,v 1.5 2001/03/16
> > 20:53:32 ht Exp $">
> >
> >    <simpleType name="string">
> >     <restriction base="string"/>
> >    </simpleType>
> >
> >    <simpleType name="boolean">
> >     <restriction base="boolean"/>
> >    </simpleType>
> >    <!-- SNIP -->
> >
> > For each datatype in the "http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema"
namespace,
> it
> > defines a new datatype in the "http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-
> datatypes"
> > namespace, deriving it from the original by trivial restriction.
> >
> > You can import this schema like any other schema. It's often easier
> > simply use the predefined xs: prefix, which always points to
> > "http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema".
> >
> > Jonathan
> >
> > At 06:13 PM 2/18/2003 +0000, Caroline Rioux wrote:
> >
> > >Hi,
> > >
> > >I need some clarification on the namespaces used for constructors
and
> > >datatypes.
> > >
> > >In the F&O spec, section 1.5 it says:
> > >
> > >The URIs of the namespaces are:
> > >   * http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-datatypes for constructors
> > >   * http://www.w3.org/2002/11/xquery-operators for operators
> > >   * http://www.w3.org/2002/11/xquery-functions for functions.
> > >
> > >Which implies that constructors are in the
> > >http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-datatypes namespace
> > >
> > >In XML Schema Part 2: Datatypes section 3.1 (Namespace
Considerations)

> > >   The *built-in* datatypes defined by this specification are
designed
> to be
> > >   used with the XML Schema definition language as well as other
XML