Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 16:29:09 +0000 (GMT)
From: Caroline Rioux <crioux@decisionsoft.com>
To: Jonathan Robie <jonathan.robie@datadirect-technologies.com>
Cc: public-qt-comments@w3.org
Subject: Re: Namespace considerations

Thanks for the quick reply,

What I am unsure about though, is whether or not users of an XPath2
implementation can invoke constructors within either namespace?

for example, if I bind xf to "http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" and
xs to "http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-datatypes", then which of these
(or all?) are legal?

'cast as xs:string(xs:decimal("15.5"))'
'cast as xf:string(xs:decimal("15.5"))'
'cast as xf:string(xf:decimal("15.5"))'

On a different note, I thought that xs was bound to
"http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" in the spec simply for convenience.
You seem to imply that it is a predefined prefix which is always bound to
"http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema".  Yet the F&O specs do use the
xs: prefix for constructors, which is defined to be in the
"http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-datatypes" namespace.

Thanks again for your help,
Caroline