RE: [DM] namespace nodes

I agree with you, I think the text is wrong. There should never be a
namespace node whose string value (namespace URI) is zero-length, as
namespace nodes always represent the declaration of a namespace and not the
undeclaration.

I think that it is now possible in XSLT to create a parentless namespace
node: viz

<xsl:variable name="ns" as="node()">
  <xsl:namespace name="my">namespace.uri</xsl:namespace>
</xsl:variable>

Though this probably isn't what was envisaged when the DM spec was written -
at one time there was an idea that namespace nodes would be "shared" between
elements in some way.