RE: XPath Data Model proposal

Clarification please John.
If I'm transforming a well formed instance, no schema,
I'm going to find the output decorated with data type information;
that wasn't there in any original DTD that may have been used
to develop these instances?

And presumably which might then fail  validation on receipt
by another business if the document type is re-introduced?

Gratuitous decoration isn't my idea of fun for those who
don't want/need it.

regards DaveP.

> At 01:51 PM 6/5/2003 -0400, John Cowan wrote:
>
> >Jonathan Robie scripsit:
> >
> > > To a DTD-only processor, though, the xsi:type attribute
> will always be
> > just
> > > an attribute, and there's no place to put type information in the
> > output of
> > > a DTD-only processor, since it is just an Infoset.
> >
> >You write as if I were requesting an explanation of
> xpath-datamodel section
> >3.6, but I am not; I am requesting a change to it, so that
> Infoset-only
> >processing can provide datatype information by
> Schema-compatible means
> >without demanding Schema processing.
>
> I may have been unclear. I assumed that you understood that
> section, and
> are of course an expert on the Infoset. What I was trying to
> clarify was
> not the mapping itself, but the justification for that
> mapping - that we
> are trying to be literal and avoid creativity.
>
> To me, the Infoset-only mapping in our document needs to be
> consistent with
> the standard definition of XML. There are many ways we could
> decide to
> doctor an Infoset or reinterpret it, and I think this is a
> dangerous path
> to go down for mappings defined in our specifications.
>
> On the other hand, we give plenty of flexibility for an
> implementation to
> create data model instances without using our PSVI or Infoset
> mappings.
>
> Jonathan

-

confidential and may be legally privileged. If you are not the
intended recipient you are hereby notified that you must not use,
disclose, distribute, copy, print or rely on this email's content. If
immediately and then delete the email and any attachments from your
system.

RNIB has made strenuous efforts to ensure that emails and any
attachments generated by its staff are free from viruses. However, it
cannot accept any responsibility for any viruses which are
transmitted. We therefore recommend you scan all attachments.

represent those of RNIB.

RNIB Registered Charity Number: 226227

Website: http://www.rnib.org.uk