RE: MS-FO-LC1-032: Make collation URI a string literal

From: Kay, Michael <Michael.Kay@softwareag.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2003 19:50:39 +0200
To: Michael Rys <mrys@microsoft.com>, public-qt-comments@w3.org

> Class: Editorial/Technical
>
> The collation argument should be a literal. Many current
> implementation frameworks cannot easily deal with dynamically
> provided collations. We can always remove this restriction in
> a later version, but we cannot remove dynamic behaviour
> without great difficulties once introduced.

It would be incredibly inconvenient to make users spell out the literal each
time it is used, rather than referring to a global variable.

In addition, XSLT 1.0 has shown that dynamic sorting capability is high on
users' requirements lists, and they are prepared to pay a heavy performance
penalty to achieve it.

Michael Kay