RE: external functions: prior art in Qexo

You may be aware that XSLT 1.1 attempted to define a standard API for
calling Java methods as external functions from XSLT. The result of these
efforts is at http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt11/

The work was abandoned because it ran into too much resistance. There were
objections to the idea that the WG should define interfaces for some
languages and not others, and there were problems in defining the semantics,
for example when calling methods with side-effects.

I still think it would be a good idea to have such a spec, allowing a
greater degree of interoperability between those implementations that
support a Java interface, but it would probably have to be done outside W3C.

Of course XSLT will retain the notion that the language is capable of
calling external functions, while leaving all the details of the language
binding to the implementor.

Michael Kay
Software AG