RE: Comments on http://www.w3.org/TR/xquery-operators/

Ian:
Thanks you for your comments.  See inline

All the best, Ashok

[AM] Adding functions for these selectors analogous to the op: functions
is an interesting idea but there is a great deal of resistance to adding
yet more functions to the F&O.

> The prefixes fn: op: xs: and xdt: are not explicitly mapped to
namespaces.
> While the bindings can be inferred I think a standard should not
invite
> such inferences.
[AM] These prefixes are bound to namespaces.  See section 1.7 of the
F&O.

> In section 5.1 it is stated that "The semantics of the constructor
> function xs:TYP (xdt:anyAtomicType) are identical to the semantics of
> "cast as xs:TYPE(xdt:anyAtomicType)".  This begs the question of
whether
> such functions must be implemented/may be implemented/or like those
> functions
> bound to the op: namespace will not be implemented.  This issue should
be
> resolved since it impacts upon the portability of XQuery that employs
> functions in the xs: and xdt: namespaces, rather than a cast.
>
> Omitting these functions from those that must be implemented has the
> attractive
> property that all XQuery function which "must be implemented" reside
in
> the
> fn: namespace.
[AM] The conformance issues for the F&O have still to be dealt with.  We
will keep your suggestions in mind.