XQuery 1.0 - 2.3.2 What is "content" of an element node?

From: <Svgdeveloper@aol.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 16:46:02 -0400 (EDT)
To: public-qt-comments@w3.org

In the first example in numbered point 3. in 2.3.2 reference is made to the
"content" of an element node.

I guess this question relates to my comment on the XSLT 2.0 spec. but I am
unclear what the "content" of an element node is. ... I think I am clear
about what the content of an element in a serialized XML document is, but I
don't understand the term content as applied to an element node.

I notice that the term content is not defined in any of the glossaries in the
various specifications.

So, what is the "content" of an element node? How does it differ, if at all,
from the nodes which might result from parsing the content of the XML
document which has, perhaps, been parsed to construct the element node? How
is such "content" serialized if it isn't synonymous with the child /
descendant nodes of the element node?

Andrew Watt