RE: XSLT 2.0 - 2.3

From: Kay, Michael <Michael.Kay@softwareag.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 20:04:50 +0200
To: Svgdeveloper@aol.com, public-qt-comments@w3.org

Thanks for the typos, I've fixed these.

> In the fourth bullet point reference is made to a "document
> node with no children".
>
> Perhaps I am parsing the sentence wrongly but a document node with no
> children does not correspond to a well-formed XML document
> and therefore no
> XSLT transformation can be transformed.

It has always been possible in XSLT to construct a tree consisting solely of
a root (document) node:

<xsl:variable name="empty-tree"><xsl:value-of select="''"/></xsl:variable>

The Data Model document (section 4.1.1) makes it clear that the XPath data
model allows trees that do not represent well-formed XML documents, though
it doesn't actually mention this one as an example.