RE: Regular Expressions in XQuery/XPath2

From: Jennifer Schachter <jas@decisionsoft.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 10:52:47 -0400 (EDT)
To: "Kay, Michael" <Michael.Kay@softwareag.com>
cc: <public-qt-comments@w3c.org>, <public-qt-comments@w3.org>

On Thu, 17 Oct 2002, Kay, Michael wrote:

> > Can you please verify whether a newline should match the .
> > meta-character
> > in string mode? Is the newline character considered 'any character'?
>
> Yes, you have read the spec correctly.

Thank you for that explanation.

It follows, then, that the second set of examples in section 6.3.15.3 of
the F&O spec are incorrect. More precisely:

      xf:matches(., "Kaum.*krähen", "m") returns true (example 2)

      xf:matches(., "^Kaum.*gesehen,$", "m") returns false (example 3)

I suspect the source data should contain a newline immediately following
'gesehen,' as that would solve these problems.

Cheers,
Jennifer

--
Jennifer "Georgina" Schachter, Software Engineer
DecisionSoft Ltd.            http://www.decisionsoft.com