Canonical representations

From: Natalie Gordon <nfg@decisionsoft.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2002 06:26:27 -0400 (EDT)
To: public-qt-comments@w3.org

Hi,

Looking at the canonical representation of a double in XML Schema 2
Datatypes, it is specified that 'the exponent must be indicated by "E"'.
I read that as saying that an E must always be specified for a double,
therefore 1.2 would be represented by 1.2E0 (likewise 12 would be
represented by 1.2E1).  Is that the correct way to
read this spec?

In the F&O spec Avg (14.4.2) and Sum (14.4.5) both return doubles.  But
the examples of these seem to return decimals (ie. there is no 'E').
These are used in the XML Query Use Cases and seem to return decimals.

So either Avg and Sum should return decimals not doubles or my
interpretation of a double is incorrect.

Any explanation would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Natalie

--
Natalie Gordon, Software Engineer	  DecisionSoft Ltd.
Telephone: +44 (0) 1865 203192		  http://www.decisionsoft.com