RE: XSLT 2.0 and Backwards-Compatible Processing

The current description of backwards-compatible processing in XSLT 2.0 only
affects the interpretation of XPath expressions. It was written this way
because, at the time, we thought it likely that there would be some
significant backwards incompatibility between XPath 2.0 and 1.0, but that
there were unlikely to be any problems at the XSLT level.

We do have plans to review how backwards compatibility works now that XSLT
2.0 and XPath 2.0 are much more clearly defined. The next draft of XPath 2.0
will contain clarifications in this area, but unfortunately you will have to
wait a little bit longer for the corresponding XSLT 2.0 features to be
finalized. Don't take the current specs as the last word on the matter:
there are a couple of open XSLT issues that point out that the way it is
currently specified is probably unworkable.