RE: [xml-dev] XPath 2.0 - how much of XQuery should it include?

Jeni Tennison wrote:
> To be honest, I think that the kind of merger that people
> have in mind when they talk about using XQuery and XSLT
> together is to replace XSLT with XQuery.

I guess different people have very different things in mind, but I haven't
heard anyone suggesting that XQuery should aim to replace XSLT. The WGs are
not talking about such a merger: it isn't on the agenda. I personally see
XSLT and XQuery co-existing in the roles of report-writer and database
access language: XQuery gets the data, XSLT arranges it in the form required
by the client. Of course both languages do things that aren't strictly
necessary to those roles, but that's because this isn't the only usage
scenario.

Occasionally some of us dream about a successor language that replaces both
XSLT and XQuery, but to be realistic I suspect that's ten years away, and it
can only be designed with the benefit of seeing what works and what doesn't
in the languages we are designing today.

Michael Kay