RE: XPath 2.0 Requirements - Suggestions

Andrew, this requirements document was issued after public consultation over
a year ago, and we're not planning to reissue it in the immediate future,
and will only do so if there is a significant change in direction. Although
there was no formal deadline for submitting comments on the requirements
document, the project is now well beyond the requirements phase. If you have
substantive comments asking that particular requirements be added or
removed, that input will still be useful, but editorial comments asking that
the document be rewritten with extra justification material are (in my view)
not something that we can act upon just now. That's not an official WG view,
just my guess as to what the official WG response would be, given the other
demands on our time.

Your comment does provide us with a reminder that we sometimes need to
include justification material in our other publications, for example in the
specs themselves or in the use cases. In the XSLT 2.0 draft we removed a lot
of rationale for existing features like keys, but have added rationale for
new features like grouping, and I have an action to draft additional
descriptive text for the integration with Schema.

Michael Kay
Software AG