RE: XPath 2.0 - the relevance of XPointer?

The absence of a reference to XPointer was not an unconscious oversight.
XPath is an infrastructure specification whose application is based upon the
host language that uses it.  The fact that XPointer uses XPath 1.0 in no way
obligates it to use 2.0.  XLink is still trying to finish up XPointer 1.0.
The relevance for the joint XSLT and XQuery statement reflects that both
groups are actively working to create XPath 2.0 as we both have need for
datatype support.  I don't see how this can be read as any statement
regarding the future of XPointer.  There are already OASIS specs such as
DSML that depend upon it.

Regards,

Mark

Mark V. Scardina              Group Product Mgr & XML Evangelist
CORE & XML DEVELOPMENT GROUP  E-mail: Mark.Scardina@oracle.com
Web Site: http://otn.oracle.com/tech/xml/