RE: Question about XPath 2.0 precedence rules

From: Kay, Michael <Michael.Kay@softwareag.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 16:19:30 +0200
To: Jeff Kenton <jkenton@datapower.com>, public-qt-comments@w3.org
Cc: w3c-xsl-query@w3.org

> In the XPath 2.0 WD, in the Appendix, Section A.2 Precedence
> Order, the
> precedence of various comparisons are all listed with equal
> values (4).
> This seems different from XPath 1.0 (Section 3.4), which has
> Relational
> Expressions at higher priority than Equality Expressions.
>
> Is this intentional? If so, it has been left out of Appendix F, which
> lists known incompatibilities between 1.0 and 2.0.

Thanks for pointing this out. This is still true in the August drafts. I
don't know of any particular reason why this has changed from 1.0, and at
the very least, it should be documented as an incompatibility.

By copying this message to the XPath TF, I am requesting that we register
this as an issue.