op:concatenate vs. xf:concat

From: Jeni Tennison <jeni@jenitennison.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 19:45:28 +0100
To: public-qt-comments@w3.org

Hi,

It isn't an issue in XPath because the op:concatenate operator is an
',' operator rather than a function, but having two
operators/functions that have very similar names but do completely
different things is very confusing in the Data Model WD.

The definition of infoitem-to-text-nodes() in Section 4.7.4 of the
Data Model WD, for example, uses both op:concatenate() and xf:concat()
in the same expression. I found it hard to understand what was going
on until it came to me that op:concatenate() must be combining
sequences while xf:concat() combines strings.

Perhaps op:concatenate's name could be changed to something more
explicit, such as op:construct-sequence?

Cheers,

Jeni
---
Jeni Tennison