xf:escape-uri and utf-8

From: Wesley W. Terpstra <wesley@terpstra.ca>
Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2002 18:13:40 -0400 (EDT)
To: public-qt-comments@w3.org

How is uri-escape(str, bool) to deal with unicode strings in str?

It seems to me that it should output the string in utf-8 encoded as hex
stream with %s.

This has several payoffs:

Transparent behaviour for uris:
	the examples in the current draft continue to work
	All of normal ascii gets encoded as expected
	Will behave the way most people expect

A well-defined map for all of unicode

POST/GETs to CGIs can support internationalisation as long as they realize
their data is in utf-8

rfc822 mail headers for non-iso-8859 languages work simply:
	<xsl:text>Subject: =?utf-8?Q?</xsl:text>
	<xsl:value-of select="translate(uri-encode(subject, true), '%', '=')"/>
	<xsl:text>?=<xsl:text>

I am sure many other hacks are possible when one knows that the output is
has charset utf-8. So, please clarify the output charset used for encoding
the unicode string prior to hexifying it. This way all implementation will
use a common charset and greatly increase the utility of this function.

--
Wesley W. Terpstra <wesley@terpstra.ca>