RE: Grouping

From: Kay, Michael <Michael.Kay@softwareag.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2002 08:12:09 +0200
To: Jeni Tennison <jeni@jenitennison.com>, public-qt-comments@w3.org

> See
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/xsl-editors/2001OctDec/0052.html
> for the proposal I made. Mike replied at
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/xsl-editors/2002JanMar/0036.html
> that the grouping key could be a sequence and that this would
> enable you to have compound grouping keys, but this doesn't
> seem to have filtered through into the WD yet...

There has since been another suggestion that a sequence-valued grouping key
should be taken to mean that the same node should be included in more than
one group (analogously to the way xsl:key works). It obviously can't have
both meanings...

I think there is some feeling in the WG that we have hit about the right
level of functionality with xsl:for-each-group and that we don't want to
complicate it any further. If there really are problems that can't be solved
(as distinct from problems that are a little awkward to solve) then we will
certainly look at them.