Re: HTML entities and the validator...

Sierk,

I may not understand properly but might have something helpful.

From:	sierkb@gmx.de
Date:	Sat, 23 Apr 2011 15:48:34 +0200
> is there, by any means, anywhere, a definition, if in
> HTML (concrete: HTML 4.01) and/or it's parent, SGML, it's
> allowed and valid to shorten an entity (like &) to
> "&;" (Ampersant + Semikolon) in a given <a href="URL">
> with &; instead of &amp;" within an URL construct, so that
> the W3C Markup Validator is right, in NOT labeling it as
> an error and let passing it as valid?

According to RFCs 2396 and 3986, "&" must be % encoded when
not serving in a reserved role in a URI.  So I wonder whether
your error message from the validator is a consequence of the
"&" not being % escaped.

Ref. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uniform_Resource_Identifier

Regards,            ... Peter E.

Telephone 1 360 450 2132.  bcc: peasthope at shaw.ca