Re: Link checker 4.4 slight delay due to image URL issues

Hi Ville,

On 5-Feb-09, at 4:50 PM, Ville Skyttä wrote:
> I was about to tag and upload link checker 4.4 to CPAN, but in final
> tests I
> found a problem with image URLs.

My bad, thanks for noticing the problems.

> 1) Use absolute URLs for images, point them at www.w3.org or
> validator.w3.org
> as appropriate, remove all images from the tarball.  The problem
> with this is
> that it isn't necessarily too nice for local installations,
> especially in
> offline mode (although that's a pretty rare use case).  And it also
> means
> local installations will have broken links if things move around or
> disappear
> on validator.w3.org.  BTW this problem (?) also exists for the
> donations
> program javascript (also for local validator setups).

I strongly believe the donation program JS should remain as an
absolute link to www.w3.org (for safety reasons...) but as far as
images and stylesheets are concerned, I think local copies would
probably make more sense. Hence a vote for 2).

> 2) Bundle all used images in the docs/ dir in tarball, and adjust
> relative
> URLs in link checker to point to them.  Means some things are
> duplicated on
> validator.w3.org (unless someone customizes the version running
> there wrt
> these URLs), and content negotiation for image formats cannot be
> used because
> the links should work even when viewing say docs/checklink.html from
> local
> filesystem.

Duplication is no big deal (I think), and if we have to go without
negotiation, so be it.