Re: fresh layer of paint for link checker

On Tuesday 23 October 2007, olivier Thereaux wrote:
> On Sep 15, 2007, at 16:47 , Ville Skyttä wrote:
> > I like it, however I think I would like it even more if the box's
> > scroll bar
> > would be bound to the bottom (unless the user has moved the bar
> > handle) so
> > that it would be more prominent that something is actually
> > happening and the
> > progress wouldn't start to go out of view already after a few lines of
> > output.  I don't know if it's actually doable though.
>
> I looked around but didn't find a quick way to do this. I eventually
> found a slightly different idea (and, actually nicer-looking) by
> adding, at the top of the <pre> with the progress info, a heading
> that dynamically shows what the link checker is doing at the time.
>
> What do you think?

Definitely an improvement.  Two remaining minorish issues though (Firefox
2.0.0.5 on Linux):

1) After checking a document is finished, the heading still shows "Status:
Checking link ..." for the last link checked.  Should say something
like "Status: Processed/Finished in XX.X seconds" instead.

2) When there are long URLs among those checked, the heading is wrapped
after "Checking link" and the URL is displayed on the next line.  This causes
jumping text effects as the heading area's height switches between one and
two line "modes".

> I'm also wondering, for the sake of screen real estate, if it would
> make sense to have (on results page only) the options collapsed into
> hidden state? That would, however, be inconsistent with the other two
> validators, where the options are hidden in main interface and shown
> for re-check.

+1 for staying consistent with the other validators - no matter if it means
sticking with expanded options for the link checker or changing all
validators to default to collapsed.