Re: Packaging CSS Validator and Command line

On Jan 9, 2007, at 21:34 , Jean-Guilhem Rouel wrote:
> Yes, as Yves told me earlier, you need to set the classpath in the
> jar's manifest. To do that, you can try to add something like:
> <manifest>
>    <attribute name="Main-Class" value="org.w3c.css.css.CssValidator"/>
>    <attribute name="Class-Path" value="file1.jar file2.jar"/>
> </manifest>
> Replacing fileN.jar with all the jars needed by the CSS Validator.
> After that, re-build css-validator.jar, copy all the libs in the
> same dir, and try again a java -jar css-validator.jar. I don't like
> the fact that you need to specify where the libs are in the
> manifest, but I don't know if there's another way to load the libs.
>
> Another possibility would be to add css-validator.jar to the
> classpath, doing something like:
> java -classpath $CLASSPATH:css-validator.jar
> org.w3c.css.css.CssValidator

Both these solutions do the job (for me as user), and after a bit of
discussion with Jean-Gui on IRC we thought it could be nice to offer
a .sh with the command line he wrote above, and a .bat with the
equivalent syntax for windows, which would be:
> java -classpath $CLASSPATH;css-validator.jar
> org.w3c.css.css.CssValidator

Yet, it's a bit annoying that these solutions still need the user to
have downloaded, independently, the jigsaw and servlet jars. One of
the things we were thinking, was to create a zip with:
- the css-validator.jar
- the other libs in .jar
- the scripts (.sh and .bat)

That said, of course, if there was one simple way of putting it all
in a jar, even a little big, with a small GUI, I'm sure people would
be even happier.