Re: New Branch Release (Was: validator/httpd/cgi-bin check,1.432.2.5,1.432.2.6)

On 6 Feb 2006, at 20:12, Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:

> Well, what pain does the SOAP template solve?

The pain of not having any clearly documented, supported programmatic
interface? True, we may achieve that by other ways than with a SOAP
interface, but with all the work that has been done on the CSS
validator in this area, leveraging this seems like a natural way to
get closer to the goal.

> We don't have a SOAP API

What do you mean? The fact that it is GET-based doesn't mean there is
no API. There is an access, and it's documented.

> no WSDL

No, but [1] has just been finished for the CSS validator, adapting it
to the markup validator will be a matter of an hour or so.

[1] http://www.w3.org/2005/09/css-validator.wsdl

> no documentation

We do, we have:
[2] http://qa-dev.w3.org/wmvs/HEAD/docs/api

> no tests, we've basically just wrapped custom XML in some SOAP
> elements with a arguably better naming scheme for some elements and
> it seems you'll now get SOAP even for fatal errors rather than
> falling back to XHTML output as the XML output would do.

Which is a good thing, no? (good point earlier on the brokenness of
the soap fault template, I'm looking into it now).