Re: How to write code for W3C

Thanks antonio,

I definitely agree with you for the real estate and the comments you
have given about the site. You could have said it's ugly too ;) I
have no troubles with that. I have designed it :)))

Le 05-11-08 à 17:46, Antonio Cavedoni a écrit :

> - the bullets in the navigation list on the right look like
> clickable buttons: in OS X and in other user interface contexts,
> triangles like these mean "reveal the sub-items", and here they are
> misleading, I think

Interesting. and good comment.

> - the main title "W3C, Quality Assurance" is repeated twice at the
> very top of the page (in the two buttons and in the main heading)
> and is also in the <title> of the page, that looks a bit excessive
> to me

Yep. It's not anymore information, it's infobesity.

> - the layout grid is too complex, IMHO. It's noisy because there
> are too many construction lines; I've highlighted them here:
>  http://cavedoni.com/2005/11/w3c-qa-home

Yep :)

> - the items in the top navigation bar (Activities | Technical
> Reports | etc.) are of secondary relevance to someone entering the
> QA home page, I think, but they are

[…]

> Are they mandated by some kind of internal style guide? Is there
> such a thing at all?

Yes that one is a difficult topic. There's no strong recommendations
on what should be  there. It's often at the freedom of the person
designing the site (unfortunately?).

> - the color combination blue on soft brown in the right-hand
> navigation bar looks a bit dated to my eye, but this is again a
> rather subjective point of view

nope agreed again. Definitely dated.

> - the right-hand side navigation bar, with its "stickyness", fills
> up too much screen real estate: if one scrolls down, there's too
> much unused whitespace above it, and in general, there's too much
> unused space below it, which only becomes more useless as the
> user's monitor size increases.
>  http://cavedoni.com/2005/11/w3c-qa-nav

I do not remember what leaded me to this choice, but there was a
reason when I have done it.

> - I'm not convinced by the current hierarchy of the content on that
> page: the most fresh items (news items) are at the bottom of the
> page. At the top, there are an introduction to the QA activity and
> the "get involved" bit and the page basically evolves only vertically.

Yes that will be one of the main thing. The new Home Page will really
become a weblog.

> This is just stuff off the top of my head: maybe I'm missing some
> good reasons for current design decisions, if so feel free to
> ignore my ramblings.

There are very good comments.

I would like that we find a compromise with good visual appealing and
maximum of simplicity.
Maybe by selecting a few weblogs we appreciate the visual design/
usability, it could help in the process.

W3C Conformance Manager
*** Be Strict To Be Cool ***