Re: New proposed styling

Hello Bjoern.

Thanks for your opinion and suggestions on this topic.

On Thu, Jan 06, 2005, Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:
> Maybe you did not know, but the standard response to this is that you
> should configure your browser such that this is not a problem, e.g. by
> re-sizing your browser window or by using a user style sheet with e.g.
> width or max-width for the html/body elements. You should probably cite
> more convincing reasons why validator.w3.org should be different from
> pretty much the rest of w3.org.

First, I do not think w3.org, although a very good site in many
respects, can be taken as a reference when it comes to style. The few
pages I consider decent in this regard are, for the most part, using
multi-column layout to achieve exactly the goal I am pursuing here.

I agree that arbitrarily setting the width of the window is not perfect,
and will be trying other ideas (such as using a max-width in em rather
than a fixed px width) before considering the changes acceptable.

That said, I have a hard time considering "re-sizing your browser
window" as a standard. Print publishing I consider a standard. I may
stretch to calling usenet and e-mail text width a standard.

> Once again, I don't think we should use our main development branch for
> experimental code, specifically not code that makes the site unusable in
> Internet Explorer 6 :-( You can use http://www.danvine.com/iecapture/
> and similar services like http://www.browsercam.com/ to test.

Not being able to use these services or to boot the only windows box at
my disposition right now, and if you do not tell me what issues you are
experiencing, I cannot assess how broken things are with IE6. If you can
give more details, I'd appreciate that.

Anyway, given how the many browsers I tried (including some with rather
lousy, old CSS support) worked, I didn't consider the changes disruptive
enough to have their own branch. Sorry if this is causing you trouble.