howto do punctual updates to the production validator

On Thu, Apr 28, 2005, Dominique Hazaël-Massieux wrote:
> I have not updated the code running in the production validator, since
> I'm not quite sure how the validators maintainer deal with this.

The general process is to cvs commit your file, cvs tag (with -F if
overwriting a tag, but I reckon some may find that bad practice), and
cvs update -r on the production side... and be extra careful!

Things are, however, a little more complicated than that, because:
- currently the production validator lives in a particular CVS branch,
  not HEAD. You'd have to port it there (cvs get the branch, and then
cvs commit, cvs tag...)
- For the tips (and most config files), we have trashed the old config
  syntax that was confusing everyone with something sane. That means the
  port should not just be a copy.

see http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/validator/htdocs/config/tips.cfg
e.g the difference between 1.12 (HEAD) and 1.3.2.14 (0_6 branch)