Re: [wmvs] Prerequisites, Minimum Versions, Platforms?

On Sep 5, 2004, at 11:17 PM, Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:
> We should try to avoid depending on code that won't work on specific
> mainstream platforms, but I do not think we should officially support
> anything but validator.w3.org/qa-dev.w3.org (in terms of testing,
> commiting to fix bugs in our dependencies to make them work elsewhere,
> etc.)

Agreed in principle, that we can't officially support anything beyond
what we develop and test on.

Let's not forget, however, that the use of the validator outside of the
wvo/qa-dev platform has apparently increased recently, and is bringing
us a big user base, and although I cannot quantify it, I would be
almost certain that it also brings us *quality* participation. All of
this because we've made efforts to make the validator easier to install
on various platforms, and I do not wish to cancel these efforts without
a very good reason to do so.

(which seems to echo:)
> If there are similar good reasons to depend on Apache2
> and mod_perl2 that might be okay, too. Doing it just for the fun of it
> would be a bad idea.

So I guess we do agree, if not in the wording, at least in the spirit?