Re: checklink credits

On Tue, 2004-01-06 at 14:36, Terje Bless wrote:

> Which is why I'm inclined to ditch this behaviour alltogether, in
> favour of requiring Apache+mod_perl for the CGI version.

I would not mind an Apache+mod_perl prerequisite for the validator or
checklink, even though this particular "feature" is perhaps not that
severe so it would absolutely require such a change.  Checklink still
needs quite a bit of work to allow it to be clearly run under mod_perl
though.  It "works" now, but trashes the error logs with lots of
warnings.  And I have never implemented anything that would be run
either under mod_perl or from the command line... I don't see why it
wouldn't be doable though.

> A requirement for a recompiled (with insecure settings no less) Apache is not
> acceptable; except this is for an add-on feature and not basic functionality.

Agreed.  But documenting the workaround(s) for enabling this feature,
ie. either using the mod_rewrite tricks or enabling mod_perl would be ok
IMO.  I'll see what I can do...

> Since this is a common need for both the Validator and the Link Checker, and a
> well contained piece of code, this might be a perfect opportunity to begin the
> modularization and sharing code between the two. W3C::MarkUp::Util::AuthProxy?

Generally I'm all for modularization/reuse, but at the moment I think we
should really focus on getting the current beta validator and the
checklink from that branch in production before starting to tear either
of them apart in any way.