Re: [check] Status and Progress

On Mon, 21 Oct 2002, Terje Bless wrote:

> Ville Skytt <ville.skytta@iki.fi> wrote:
>
> >But how about using XSLT for the "templating" instead of
> >some Perl stuff?  Dunno if the XML generation for XSLT should be
> >templatized or hardcoded in Perl, though...
>
> I have several reservations about using XSLT. Apart from a general dislike
> for that way of doing things, my experience is that the current crop of
> tools aren't up to the task.

Phooey!  Current tools process XSLT nicely, and mod_xml even lets you
pre-parse and cache the XSLT for performance.  All you have to do is
look a bit further than Perl's rather embryonic XML support.

> At least for the first cut I think HTML::Template is necessary if for no
> other reason then because I'm familiar with it and I'm definitely not
> familiar with XSLT. IOW, using XSLT would carry significant overhead while
> I familiarized myself with it and slow development down.

Indeed.  Something to use for new developments, rather than the existing
validator and forthcoming release.  Where's that new server?

--
Nick Kew