Re: Dialback in PubSubHubbub

On 25 June 2012 03:31, Julien Genestoux <julien.genestoux@gmail.com> wrote:
> My publisher endpoint will ask me whether I allow you to subscribe to my
> feed... (it will have previously checked who you are using the From header
> obviously).
> If I allow you to subscirbe to that feed... it's all great. I can also
> decide that you're actually going to be subscribed to
> http://ouvre-boite.com/feed/friends and you will then get a confirmation
> with that new url (check 0.4 for the confirmation steps).

Obviously I still need to review 0.4, but as I've discussed with
Julien, I really really dislike encoding this practice as "the way" to
do private subscriptions.

The content of the feed at a URL can be different per subscriber, and
can be easily managed with code.

Compare this to going to e.g., "http://facebook.com/" - the content
represented there is different for each signed-in user. The approach
on the web allows reusability of URLs while enabling diverse
permissions models. Facebook *could* use URLs like
"http://facebook.com/bob/friends" or
"http://facebook.com/friends=bob,anne,sally,tom,mark,..." but clearly
this doesn't offer a usable solution.

We should emulate as closely as possible the existing web model when
designing the spec – rather than describing how to do privacy with
URLs, we should allow the programmatic elements of the web to define
that.

b.