Re: Thoughts on rechartering and the future of publications on the web

>     "offline" has been a valid use case for the web for years.  I don't see  that as an issue at all.

I think the issue is not "offlining" but "packaging" which is at the core of today's business model for distributing digital content from publishers.

Luc

On 20/11/2018 07:37, "[NAME]" <[ADDRESS]> wrote:

    On 11/20/2018 1:33 AM, Laurent Le Meur wrote:
    >>> I must disagree for audiobooks, at least partially. There are two aspects on audiobook distribution to the end-user: offline (using OCF-lite) and online: in the online case audiobooks are a specific case of Web Publications. The WG must work on it, and may better do it sooner than later.
    >>>
    >>> If the W3C does not accept offline use cases as decent use cases because useful for the publishing industry, we can develop OCF-lite outside of the W3C (or as a CG), with another body to host the specification (see OPDS or Readium LCP).
    > Jeff said:
    >> I would think that W3C could accept offline use cases.  What is the problem with them?
    >>
    > When I read, from Leonard "Publishing@W3C is about bringing traditional publishing capabilities and affordances to the web for *everyone*", plus the many discussions in the WG about using only core OWP technologies for Web Publications, plus the pressure to use exclusively the Web Packaging Work in progress as a packaging mechanism etc. I suspect that any format which will be presented as a B2B interchange format + a download format for end users will face severe pushback from a part of the W3C membership, and maybe the TAG.

    "offline" has been a valid use case for the web for years.  I don't see
    that as an issue at all.

    I'm not disputing that there could be some pushback for some issues.
    Best way to find out is to ask!  I'm just pushing back (e.g. offline)
    where there just seems to be some fear of the unknown.