RE: [External] Re: Thoughts on rechartering and the future of publications on the web

It’s a harmless “must”, though, as it’s not saying that fixed layout rendering has to be supported, only that the metadata must be processed. Technically, so long as the reading system doesn’t crash because there’s rendition: prefixed properties in an EPUB, it meets that requirement. It’s not obliged to follow the author’s suggestions.

Matt

From: Johnson, Rick <Rick.Johnson@vitalsource.com>
Sent: November 9, 2018 12:17
To: Laurent Le Meur <laurent.lemeur@edrlab.org>; public-publishingbg@w3.org
Cc: Bobby Tung <bobbytung@w3.org>
Subject: Re: [External] Re: Thoughts on rechartering and the future of publications on the web

Or propose a change to “SHOULD” for fixed layout.

-Rick

From: Laurent Le Meur < <mailto:laurent.lemeur@edrlab.org> laurent.lemeur@edrlab.org>
Date: Friday, November 9, 2018 at 4:00 PM
To: " <mailto:public-publishingbg@w3.org> public-publishingbg@w3.org" < <mailto:public-publishingbg@w3.org> public-publishingbg@w3.org>
Cc: Bobby Tung < <mailto:bobbytung@w3.org> bobbytung@w3.org>

Bobby's issue is interesting:

It might be easy to test EPUB 3.2 standard on reading system developed by global vendor. But  it's not easy for local vendor those who developed their own reading system to support EPUB 3.2 without a reasonable road map. In Japan, EBPAJ's template and authoring guide do not cover "HTML based Fixed Layout" and media overlay function.

it may be translated to a question: is a reading system which does not support EPUB Fixed Layout compliant with EPUB 3.2? same question with Media Overlays ?

Part of the answer lies in  <https://w3c.github.io/publ-epub-revision/epub32/spec/epub-spec.html#sec-epub-rs-conf> Conformance Criteria for EPUB reading systems:

-> It MUST process EPUB Packages as defined in [ <https://w3c.github.io/publ-epub-revision/epub32/spec/epub-packages.html> Packages32]

And after some hops in the  <https://w3c.github.io/publ-epub-revision/epub32/spec/epub-packages.html#sec-package-rs-conf> package spec
--> It MUST process fixed layout metadata, as expressed in Fixed-Layout Properties.

-> If it has the capability to render pre-recorded audio, it MUST support the audio Core Media Type Resources and SHOULD support Media Overlays [ <https://w3c.github.io/publ-epub-revision/epub32/spec/epub-mediaoverlays.html> MediaOverlays32].

Therefore yes, reading systems that do not support FXL are not compliant with EPUB 3.2. For Media Overlay, this is vastly more flexible.

So back to the question: shouldn't we create conformance levels for reading system?

Laurent Le Meur
EDRLab