Re: EPUB 3 Justification

This parallels a challenge we face with the adoption of ONIX 3.0 in the
United States. We've been working for more than a year to build a business
case for moving from earlier versions (as well as from spreadsheets and
other transmittal formats). Last fall, we created a detailed plan
(attached) to make 2018 our metadata year, with three summits playing a
central role. The first one, for metadata providers, took place last week.

We're still in the middle of this effort, so I don't have easy or concrete
lessons to share. Your arguments in favor of EPUB 3.x are good ones, but I
think there may be two things the industry could do to help bolster them.
The first is uncomfortable: openly acknowledge that EPUB 2 is still widely
used. Get real data. The stuff I've seen while at BISG is hard to parse,
and it leaves EPUB 2 users feeling like we're hiding something.

The second is to make explicit the cost of maintaining multiple standards.
Recipients, whether for metadata or EPUB, have developed coping mechanisms
for messy supply chains. They want the metadata, and they want the books,
so they do what they have to do to make things work. We're using the
metadata initiative to examine the entire supply chain, hopefully to take
costs and time out of work that is necessary to publishing, but not
publishing itself. I think you need to do something similar for EPUB.

--
Brian F. O'Leary
Executive Director, Book Industry Study Group

(646) 336-7141 office
(973) 985-9880 mobile