From: Dave Cramer [mailto:dauwhe@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, January 19, 2018 11:56 AM
To: Johnson, Rick
Cc: public-epub3@w3.org; public-publishingbg@w3.org
Subject: Re: Thoughts on the future of EPUB 3

Hi Rick,

Absolutely—my thoughts are certainly influenced by my experience, which is largely in trade. But I think some fundamentals still apply—we need to be conscious of how our actions affect legacy titles and systems; the distance between specification and implementation continues to loom large; perhaps epubcheck could be used differently.

I would love to hear more about these sorts of issues in other contexts. Higher Ed has a very different relationship to backlist than trade does. EPUB seems closer to an interchange format than an end-user format in some segments. As content gets more complex, the limitations of some reading systems loom larger...

Regards,

Dave