From: MURATA Makoto
Sent: Tuesday, May 9, 2017 19:14
To: W3C Publishing Business Group
Subject: Re: ISO/IEC standardization of EPUB: Procedure

Bill,

  Makoto,

  If we can standardize only EPUB Accessibility as ISO TS more conveniently this seems like a good option to consider.

  But can you explain why for a TS it is necessary or desirable that we edit anything to use ISO terminology such as “SHALL”? For EPUB TS 30135 no such edits were done, the IDPF specifications were used as-is with no reformatting.

This is because of the fast-tracking procedure.  If you use that procedure,
you do not have to follow the ISO/IEC directives for editorial issues.

  As well, I’m not sure why publication as a WG note would necessarily be required or desirable, if we were to standardize EPUB Accessibility 1.0.

As Ivan pointed out, accessibility 1.1  as a WG note is not possible, unless
it is in the charter of the Publication WG.  The CG can only create
a CG report.

  As we can’t use the W3C PAS process (since not Recommendation) so we would be relying on S. Korea (or another country) to submit on our behalf. But, it could be existing IDPF EPUB Accessibility 1.0 that is submitted, consistent with existing TS 30135.

Avneesh and Geroge are proposing EPUB Accessibility 1.1.  Not 1.0.
I would like to hear from them about 1.0 vs. 1.1.

  Unless the expectation is to standardize a future revision such as an EPUB Accessibility 1.1, in that case I understand your recommendation.  But since the standard procedure will take some time we should consider whether, if we wait until EPUB Accessibility is revised, what will be the total elapsed time until we have a TS.

If a New Work Item Proposal can  be made in this June and the CG can develop
EPUB accessibility 1.1 in a timely manner, I do not see any reasons for such
delay.  Less than a year is needed after the Draft Technical Spec is developed
and sent out for a ballot.

Regards,
Makoto

  It could end up, perhaps, desirable to start with EPUB Accessibility 1.0 even if by the time it’s a TS it will be revised, just as was the case with EPUB TS. And after all EPUB Accessibility is designed to be a living document – if we start the TS process with a 1.1 revision then who knows, we may have a 1.2 before it is done. So if TS for EPUB Accessibility is a good idea, I don’t’ see why not a good idea to start right now, without waiting for revision or for any publication by W3C.

  Thanks,

  --Bill