RE: Deep concerns about the future of EPUB

WRT Matt's point about the test suite's schizophrenic existence, the two fundamental poles/purposes/personalities are these:

1. To inform publishers about what features of EPUB will "just work" and work properly in a given RS.

2. To enable RS developers to test whether their software works properly for content that conforms to the EPUB spec.

The historical perspective, best articulated by Brian O'Leary's summary for the BG, can be summarized like this:

--Purpose 1 was the original intention of the test suite / EPUB Grid.

--When it was implemented, it was discovered that Purpose 2 was also an important benefit/byproduct.

As time has gone on (and as Brian documents):

--It has become increasingly difficult to maintain Purpose 1, not only because of the difficulty of recruiting volunteers (which could be addressed by changing the top-down model and moving more to a caniuse/crowdsourced model) but precisely _because of_ the now rich and diverse implementation environment. What is difficult, and what may be impossible, is to keep up with all the places EPUB is implemented, including changes in OS's and browser engines on which those implementations are based. The Accessibility group, which has a very particular focus, has admirably addressed this complexity (including the added layer of AT), but it may now be the case that the original vision of the TS/EPUB Grid--to inform publishers about what features of EPUB will "just work" and work properly in a given RS (Purpose 1) in anything like a current and comprehensive way--is not just difficult but impossible for what we have called the "mainstream testing." (I don't think anybody disagrees that the accessibility testing is working and should keep going full steam ahead.)

--One corollary of Purpose 1--and this was really the main motivator for the creation of the Grid in the first place--was to demonstrate that EPUB _actually was_ being implemented in reading systems, maybe not every feature, but most of the features that publishers most needed. That was because publishers were holding back due to the perception that "EPUB 3 doesn't work anywhere." That perception is no longer a problem. We don't have a problem with EPUB 3 not being perceived as viable; it's widely implemented. (Not EPUB 3.1, of course; I mean EPUB 3 in general, which currently means EPUB 3.0.x.)

So it may be arguable that Purpose 1 is no longer needed, or that the effort to address Purpose 1 is no longer justifiable.

Instead, it appears that a focus on Purpose 2 is what is needed. We no longer need to convince the publishing industry that EPUB 3 is viable; that's pretty much a settled issue. But developers _really need_ the ability to test their software effectively.

So I suggest that a group of _publishers_ getting together to work on this--which was what BISG did, essentially--isn't what is needed. What is needed is a group of _developers_ getting together to solve this.

--Bill K

P.S. A sidenote: both publishers and developers need _epubcheck_ to work. I'm responding to the epubtest/EPUB Grid discussion, but I'm aware that the epubcheck issue is the most urgent.

Bill Kasdorf
VP and Principal Consultant | Apex CoVantage
p:
734-904-6252  m:   734-904-6252
ISNI: http://isni.org/isni/0000000116490786
ORCiD: https://orcid.org/0000-0001-7002-4786