RE: Deep concerns about the future of EPUB

> But, IMO, the WG needs a more complete set of tests if we are going to
promulgate new versions of the spec and certify that there are two complying
implementations.

Absolutely agree. The "test suite" has a bit of a schizophrenic existence
and this question of its purpose seems to come up on both sides
(comprehensiveness and feature support). As someone who contributed to the
original tests, I can state our objective was only to show publishers that
content would render and be an improvement on EPUB 2.

I wouldn't feel bound to making it work for any other purpose than it was
originally conceived. I have no doubt there are better approaches for a
comprehensive test suite, and whether it even meets the needs of showing
epub feature support can also be questioned. I don't see it as a bad thing
to retire it entirely if it's run its useful life, either.

Matt