Proposal for charter changes, in view of the formal objections by Vivliostyle & Disruptive Innovation

From: Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2017 11:53:49 +0200
Cc: W3C Publishing Business Group <public-publishingbg@w3.org>, W3C Digital Publishing IG <public-digipub-ig@w3.org>, public-new-work@w3.org
To: Daniel Glazman <daniel.glazman@disruptive-innovations.com>, Florian Rivoal <florian@vivliostyle.com>
Daniel, Florian, everyone

having discussed the issues related to the formal objections on the mailing lists, within the W3C team, etc, I have made a series of proposed editorial changes on the charter to see if these answer the objections. The changes are in a pull request on the github repository:

    https://github.com/w3c/dpubwg-charter/pull/65

the newly proposed text can be seen directly at:

    https://rawgit.com/w3c/dpubwg-charter/vivlio-di-objections/index.html

and the diff between this version and the one referred to from the review form can be seen at:

    https://rawgit.com/w3c/dpubwg-charter/vivlio-di-objections/diff.html

The pull request includes a comment listing the changes that have been made, but I also reproduce them below.

I would hope that these changes form a good basis to resolve the issues around the formal objections, and are acceptable to everyone.

Sincerely

- Ivan

Here are the changes:

* Simplified many of the bullet items in the "scope" section (relying on the WG to deliberate, based on the UCR document, on many of the details there were listed there)

* In anticipation for the change of the PWP document's title by the DPUB IG, I changed the reference in the charter text. Note, however, the this is more of a placeholder, the new title has not yet been agreed upon by the IG; I used, essentially, Matt's proposal for now. I have also removed the sentence that may be understood as the document being the core of the FPWD ("provides possible technical avenues for the final specifications")

* Changed the text describing the relationships with the BG to make it more mutual and avoid giving the impression that the BG has a veto right (which would be contrary to the W3C process). Similar changes have been made for the relationship with the CG.

* Added an extra note with for the PWP deliverables, whereby that document _may_ become unnecessary if the Web Packaging work fulfills all our needs.

* Extended the WG's life-span to three years. The WP/PWP/EPUB4 Recs have been moved to the end of the three years, and publication of the corresponding CR-s have been relaxed a bit, too. It leaves 18 months for the CR-REC phase. The ARIA CR and REC have also been moved by a quarter, it provides a bit more breathing space.

  Note, however, that the schedule changes must be approved by W3M at some point.

----
Ivan Herman, W3C
Publishing@W3C Technical Lead
Home: http://www.w3.org/People/Ivan/